2018 COL Hero WOD Marathon – May 26
This year CrossFit City of Lakes will be completing our second annual Memorial Weekend tradition. For as long as we CrossFitter’s can remember, we have always completed the hero WOD “Murph” (in honor of fallen soldier Michael P. Murphy) on Memorial Day. If you are unfamiliar Murph, it is a grueling workout that consists of 2 miles of running, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups and 300 squats, all while wearing a 20lb vest.
“Murph” is an amazing workout that honors one of our fallen soldiers. However, after speaking to our COL members that have served our country in the military, the question was posed “why do we only honor one fallen hero, why don’t we honor as many as we can?”
So we decided to do just that. Here at CrossFit City of Lakes, we will for the second year be completing the COL Memorial Day Hero WOD Marathon!
Here’s what you need to know about the Memorial Day HERO WOD Marathon:
Sat May 26th
* Teams of 4 (that can be any combination of men and women) will have two hours to complete as many Hero WODs as possible.
* Each Hero WOD will be printed on a card and attached to a board at the front of the gym.
* Team captains will select a Hero WOD and remove the card from the board. Teams will complete the Hero WOD as described on the card (scaling as necessary).
* Teams can split up these workouts however they want, but only one athlete can work at a time.
* The Hero WOD must be completed in its entirety before moving on to the next one.
* Upon completion of the WOD, the card will then be returned to the “completed” WOD board.
* Each Hero WOD can only be completed one time. No duplicating WODs.
* There are 173 Hero WODs officially registered by CrossFit HQ.
* Our goal as a community, will be to honor as many Heroes as possible by completing as many of 173 WODs as we can.
* Each Team is strongly encouraged to submit a $60 donation to Squared Away. Squared Away is a local charity Co-Founded by one of our very own COL’ers Oliver Buccicone. Squared Away is a local, volunteer only non-profit (503c) founded to support the veteran’s community in the greater Minneapolis and St. Paul area. Currently, Squared Away provides support to the Anoka County Veterans court in the form of volunteer and financial support. Squared Aways mission is to expand support to existing veterans courts in the MSP area as well as support of veterans court throughout Minnesota, the upper midwest and ultimately nationwide. 100% of donations go to support Minnesota veterans.
** After the event there will be a community potluck and party to celebrate! **